Podhale, a beautiful region at the foot of the High Tatras, is one of the most interesting places in Poland. Zakopane, once a small mountain village, now is considered a fashionable resort and the winter capital of the country. It is located only 100 km south of Krakow near the Slovak border.
The High Tatras National Park, established already in the 1950s in the highest range of the Carpathian Mountains, is located on both sides of the border. However, numerous wild animals (mostly bears and chamoise) don’t give a hoot about the border.
Podhale is well known not only for great nature but also for the rich folk culture of its dwellers. It is possibly the only region of the country where the local costume is still worn with pride. At the base of the High Tatras you can see the examples of the typical native architecture – wooden houses with sloping roofs bearing bulks of snow in winter. Some of the still working small wooden churches were entered on the UNESCO list of World Heritage in 2003.
Tasting oscypek (the smoked cheese) is a must for all tourists visiting Zakopane. Oscypek is the first Polish local product which can be sold within the European Union under the registered trademark. Apart from the cheese, Zakopane offers lots of opportunities to try the local cuisine both in the town centre and off the beaten track.
The tour includes:
- a drive through some traditional mountain villages;
- Głodówka meadow – the breathtaking view of the mountains;
- the further drive to Zakopane through Cyrhla village – another gorgeous view of Zakopane and its symbol, a summit called Giewont, resembling a sleeping knight;
- a visit to a wooden chapel near Zakopane;
- on request a cable and ground railway on Gubalowka is available;
- a visit to local market;
- a lunch break;
- on the way back a visit to Chochołów, a quiet village known for its traditional wooden cottages; in one of them you will meet a local artist whose house is a small museum and an atelier;
Duration: approximately 8h
Price: 1-4 persons 180 PLN per person, 4-7 persons 150 PLN per person. Over 7 persons prices negotiable.
The price includes:
- transport – door to door service
- english -speaking guide
- entrance fees
- lunch break
- the price does not include the meal